There are five main varieties of pearls available which are as follows:
- Cortez pearls
- South Seas
The cultured pearls graded with highest quality are termed as mikimoto pearls and sold at a premium price.
- Origin: These pearls are usually cultured in China, Japan and Vietnam. They are known as beautiful pearls of the world.
- Sizes: Usually they are available in the range of 2 to 3 mm size but can also go up to even 9 to 10 mm, which is however too rare.
- Colors: Traditionally they are white but they can also be found in Silver-blue or Golden color.
- Shapes: Traditionally these pearls are in perfect round shape.
- Origin: These pearls are cultured only in a farm at Guyamas in Mexico. This is the only place in the world where these pearls are cultured.
- Sizes: Usual sizes are between 8 to 9 mm but it can be as high as 11 to 12 mm too which is too rare.
- Colors: Cortez pearls can be of green, blue, mauve, pistachio, copper, aubergine and rose colors.
- Shapes: Symmetrical baroques and smooth drop shapes and rarely in round shape.
- Origin: Mostly they are farmed in freshwater of China.
- Sizes: Usually they are in 2 to 3 mm size but can also go up to 11 to 12 mm.
- Colors: They are available in variety of colors e.g. pink, peach, while and lavender.
- Shapes: Round shapes are quite valuable one but symmetrical Baroque shapes are very common.
South sea pearls
- Origin: They are mainly found in Australia’s northern coast and Philippine island.
- Sizes: Its sizes range from 8 to 9 mm but can go as high as 20 mm. average sizes are from 9 to 10mm to 14 to 15 mm. Above 15mm is rare size.
- Colors: Available in white and golden color.
- Shapes: Majority are in smooth baroque shapes which are symmetrical and perfectly round will be too rare.
- Origin: Available from French Polynesian islands.
- Sizes: Varies from 8 to 9 mm to 12 to 13 mm size. Above 15 mm is too rare.
- Colors: Mostly black but also green, peacock, charcoal grey colors.